I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

3 Dec 2013

The Dangers Of Substance Abuse - Part 6

We could sit here for hours and list the dangers of substance abuse, but we know what they are: a lonely and destructive life.

As I said in the beginning, I did many interviews for my book. One day, I attended an AA meeting. The only reason I went there was to meet someone to interview, but what I learned there was so much more. I saw the human beings under the mask of the addicted. I saw the very afraid and very lonely people crying out for help. Exposing oneself to drug addicts, to alcoholics, to prisoners, opens one’s eyes to the reality of these diseases and the soul below the addict.

We spoke for an hour and one of the things that stuck with me is this. He said, “After behaving for years now, I remember how everybody used to tell me what a bad person I was. Now people tell me I was sick and needed to get better.”

My interviewee also exposed me to ACA, AL-Anon, Alateen and the rest of the world that surrounds alcoholism. For those that don’t know ACA, it is Adult Children of Alcoholics. These support groups are for those around the alcoholic. The reason that these organization were formed is because alcoholism is a family disease. The children are affected, the parenter is affected, the neighbours are affected, everyone around the disease is affected.

Here is a another quote from my interview

In my opinion, the family goes through more hell than the alcoholic does. At least the alcoholic is drunk most of the time. My family suffered many emotional ups and down. One minute my wife would pray to get me back home safely. The next, she’d pray for a bus to hit me. The family of alcoholics become just as sick as the alcoholic does. They need Al-Anon to help themselves. People don’t realize that the families also need help. It’s a family disease.

My children went through a lot of trauma, especially my eldest daughter. She must have been about seven-years old. I took her for a bike ride outside the yacht club. I told her to wait a minute outside, while I went to talk to a friend. I woke up the next morning back at home. I can only imagine how traumatic that must have been for a seven-year old. Fortunately, she was smart enough to ask someone she knew for help. She got us both home safely. I woke up the next morning with the guilt and remorse again. My only coping mechanism was to drink again. I see many children going through the same horror today.
I met the daughter of whom my interviewee is speaking, at an ACA meeting. She is in her forties now and is still trying to deal with her rocky childhood years.

The Dangers Of Substance Abuse - Part 1
The Dangers Of Substance Abuse - Part 2
The Dangers Of Substance Abuse - Part 3
The Dangers Of Substance Abuse - Part 4
The Dangers Of Substance Abuse - Part 5

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment