I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

26 Nov 2013

The Dangers of Substance Abuse - Part 1

The Dangers of Substance Abuse is a talk that I do. I'm releasing it in parts again, because of people's very short attention span these days. While doing the research for my book, alcohol came up as the number one cause for dysfunction families. Alcohol is a huge problem in society today. Just look how happy the chap in the picture is... The reason I'm releasing this now is because I went to a tweetup the other night for World Day of Remembrance for people affected by drunk drivers. Go check out my blog about it: World Day of Remembrance. Without rambling anymore, here is my talk on The Dangers of Substance Abuse.

Let me start by telling you a little about myself. I didn’t have a great childhood, and when I look around, I see many more children going through similar things. They just manifest what they are going through in different ways. Whether it is addiction to various substances such as drugs and alcohol, bullying, becoming very shy and withdrawn or other types of self-destructive behaviours, they are all symptoms of very similar root causes. That led to me getting more involved in the parenting field and writing a book about my life, my experiences and all the lessons I wish I had learned while growing up. The reality today is one aspect of parenting and growing up is drug abuse and alcoholism. Unfortunately, it is being overlooked in many homes. That’s what I’m here to talk about today: the dangers of substance abuse.
It’s been a long and winding journey for me. While investigating everything for myself I did a lot of research and many interviews. I spoke to teachers, children, counsellors, psychologists, psychiatrists, and others who work in the mental health industry, as well as, people that work with children who have learning challenges, such as ADHD and dyslexia. Also, I spoke to alcoholics, drug addicts and I have an opportunity to interview people who are in prison. I spoke to anybody who deals with children and growing up, human beings, and very importantly, our minds: something that as a society, we don’t pay much attention. In the right forum, I could talk for hours on these topics. However, we have limited time, so what I want to do is plant a seed. It’s going to be up to you to water the seed, to nurture it and to let it grow.

The reason I spoke to all those different people is that all those topics are often related. It is a regular issue in society that we see problems in isolation. A drug addict is a drug addict because they take drugs. Surely, there must be more though. When our teachers ask us in grade one, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” No one says, “A gangster, a murderer, a drug addict, or an alcoholic.” So what are the steps that a person has to take to become a drug addict? These are the issues that as a society we need to be addressing today. Unfortunately, however, often we are overlooking these issues.

The Dangers of Substance Abuse - Part 2
The Dangers of Substance Abuse - Part 3
The Dangers of Substance Abuse - Part 4

More tomorrow.
If you are in Durban (South Africa) and would like me to present my talk, please leave a comment or contact me on my contact me page.
Ciao

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment