I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

14 Oct 2013

Is Image Beneficial To Humanity - Part 1

Is Image Beneficial To Humanity We humans, place so much emphasis on image: how we look, how we present ourselves, what others think of us, etc. We need to ask though, is image beneficial to humanity?

I originally wrote this as a talk that I did. I walked up to the lectern with my stinky gym shirt on. There are a few holes in the shirt. It’s a t-shit, as opposed to a button up, which most speakers prefer to wear while on stage. In addition, I hadn’t shaved in a few days and so, had messy, gross face hair: planned seven days of growth on my beard, so it was rather scraggly. I’ve done the research; I’ve read the books. Let’s face it; I didn’t have the ‘image’ of a speaker. I knew that as I was walking up there, before I even opened my mouth, people were already judging me. In addition, I know that we devalue people who dress like that in our society. We don’t believe that people who dress down, have much of the ‘right’ things to say, they aren’t intelligent and aren’t worth listening to. This is often the perception in our society. What does our image have to do with what’s in our head and our heart though?

Is Image Beneficial To Humanity One group of people that uses image very well is sales people. How many of us have been caught out by the flashy sales person? I’m talking about estate agents (realtors), financial planners, printer and copier sales people, insurance sales people, etc. The ones who do ‘well’, I’m talking about financially well; they arrive at your premises in their big German saloon, shiny suit on, big fake smile (like the guy in the picture for example – and just a note: this isn’t always the case). Their tongue is silver; they have all the ‘right’ words to say, well-timed gestures and a ‘sincere’ pat on the shoulder when the moment calls for it. Their presentation is slick; they’ve practiced and learned all the tricks to convince you to buy from them. And let’s face it, most of us are impressed. They have the image of success, so they must be successful, and thus must have all the right things to say and be the best at what they do, etc. Often, we are so impressed that we sign the deal. Is this not quite true...

Is Image Beneficial To Humanity - Part 2
Is Image Beneficial To Humanity - Part 3
Is Image Beneficial To Humanity - Part 4
Is Image Beneficial To Humanity - Part 5
Is Image Beneficial To Humanity - Part 6

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment