I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

12 Sep 2013

Why I Don’t Like Technology - Part 5

If we can’t engage with these two very important senses, then what are we doing? Why do we want to use these machines so much? We want them because they are marketed to us. Steve Jobs and his cronies did a fantastic job making the iPad and related products. They created fancy adverts to position their products in our minds as ‘hip and cool’. The sad thing is we put people like that up on a pedestal. We praise them, buy their books, watch their movies and wish to be just like them. What did he really do? He learned how to market things to us well, and then locked many, many people away in a prison, inside their minds: a world of image and iTunes.

Some argue that eBooks will save the environment: all that paper is ruining our rain forests. Well, I have news for you. When I went to pick up my books, they sat in a pile no more than one meter cubed. They were in a warehouse thirty meters wide by sixty meters long filled with labels for cans, posters for shop windows, table talkers for till points. In other words, the warehouse was filled with marketing and advertising. My books were a drop in the ocean of subliminal messages and well thought out sales speeches. There is no point in sorting out the smallest piece of the pie, and not even looking at the largest.

This brings me to my final point in this article: whom does technology really benefit? In my opinion, it’s business. Computers are great for collecting data on clients, so Facebook can better target their advertising. As I said above, technology is great at communicating this marketing to a mass audience. I could go on, but I’m sure you get the point. Where is humanity in all this? What happens to us?

Why I Don’t Like Technology - Part 1
Why I Don’t Like Technology - Part 2
Why I Don’t Like Technology - Part 3
Why I Don’t Like Technology - Part 4
Why I Don’t Like Technology - Part 6

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment