I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

11 Sep 2013

Why I Don’t Like Technology - Part 4

From our body’s point of view, we have five senses: sight, sound, smell, taste and touch. When using a piece of technology, we can only really engage with two of these senses: sight and sound. When you turn on the TV to watch the game, you can see and hear the players. That’s about it. You’re missing out what to me are probably our two most important senses, our sense of smell and touch.

Smell is important because it’s the sense that is most linked to memories. And memories are important because they tell us who we are, they give us our outlook on life. Basically, they are our identities. With more and more people in our world experiencing depression, feeling lost, confused and alone, we can only wonder if there is a correlation there…

Touch: over the years, many leaders, academics, poets and gurus have written a plethora of beautiful testimonials about love. In the 1960’s, the Beatles did All you need is love. It might sound like a cliché, but the older I get the more I realize just how important messages like that are for human beings. You see, I wrote a book about my experiences growing up. Through doing the research for it, I interviewed many people, from drug addicts and reformed alcoholics, to so-called ‘normal people’. What I found is that people who tend to have problems in their lives, whether it is serious problems, such as turning to criminality or drugs, bullying or even being bullied, and societies ‘normal’ problems, such as I can’t find the right partner or job, when you look deeply into their lives, there is a lack of love somewhere. It proved to me just how important it is for a human being to feel love and to feel loved.

So, what does all this have to do with touch. Well, love is a feeling. Thus, by definition, our sense of touch is our sense of love and connecting with other people. This is why human beings shake hands and hug one another: our bodies are communicating with each other. Yes, one-day technology will replicate the warmth of a human hand and the texture of skin. However, the older I get the more I realize that there is something more to being human than what we can perceive with our five sense alone. In my opinion, technology will never be able to replicate that. It’s what makes us human and that’s the beauty of being human. We can’t explain it all. There’s something a little magical about being a human being. And just to reiterate, depression, suicide and all the related condition, as well as divorce rates and many others, are all on the way up. Do you wonder if there is a correlation?

Why I Don’t Like Technology - Part 1
Why I Don’t Like Technology - Part 2
Why I Don’t Like Technology - Part 3
Why I Don’t Like Technology - Part 5
Why I Don’t Like Technology - Part 6

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment