I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

6 Sep 2013

What books can do to improve us - Part 9

Many may wonder why I chose to use three Americans as my examples, as opposed to our very famous prisoner, Nelson Mandela, whom I’ve quoted a few times. Well, other than my dichotomous admiration for America (anybody who wants to send me a plane ticket to the States, is more than welcome – hehe), most of us here, in South Africa, know the basic story of Mandela. He was incarcerated for 27 years, and then become the president of our country. Further to that though, I wanted you to realize just how many similarities there can be between the first world and us.

Earlier I spoke of that couple from England; the shock they felt knowing how few people here read. Well, if we want to compete on a global stage, if we want all the luxuries of the first world, then we need to do the things that people in the first world do: expand our minds. We can sit around and wait for everything to come to us.

Reading, along with other skills, can literally take you to Mars. However, you have to be the ones to get up, go to your libraries, and get books. You have to be the ones who take those books home and then read them.

To conclude I want to share another quote by Albert Einstein. Up until a little while ago, I never fully understood it. I hope that something I said will help you to understand it. The details are vague, but from what I can gather, Einstein said this to an anxious mother after she asked him how she could help her son to become a scientist, “If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”

What books can do to improve us as people - Part 1
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 2
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 3
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 4
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 5
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 6
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 7
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 8

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

1 comments:

  1. Thank you for restoring my love for reading. I had moved on with reading full books to just blog posts. Now I will slowly get back to the habit of reading books. Amazing piece of writing. Please send me the full article to my email: tony at eight gig consulting dot Com

    ReplyDelete