I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

30 Sep 2013

Rules Are Meant To Be Followed - Part 1

Rules in society, even the silly ones, are meant to be followed. I’m at a sandwich bar now, doing a bit of writing, and I’m watching a guy park his car in two parking bays. His car isn’t anything fancy, so it’s not as if he’s doing it to make sure no one bumps his car or anything like that. Occupying two parking bays is not a jailable (I don't know if that's a word, but it should be) offense. However, it creates the kind of society where rules are allowed to be broken. I live in South Africa where road rage and minor traffic infringements are commonplace. Unsurprisingly, so is murder, rape, corruption and the rest of the gang.

While researching my book I interviewed many people: teachers, psychologists and other mental health care professionals, children, people who work with children and many others. In addition, I’ve met people who work with convicted criminals. We chatted for a bit about how many of these gangsters “get into it.”

No one is born a gangster. When our teachers ask us in grade one, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" no one replies an arsonist or a bank robber. The environment in which these children find themselves, slowly conditions them into a life of crime. (Yes, there are exceptions.) I’m not going to go into all the details now because this is a post about rules. The important point to note here is it’s a lack of rules and a lack of enforcement of punishment for petty crimes, which can lead to the heinous crimes.

Rules Are Meant To Be Followed - Part 2
Rules Are Meant To Be Followed - Part 3

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment