I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

27 Aug 2013

What is the mind? Part 2

In the previous post (What is the mind?), I elaborated on Daniel Siegel’s definition. To me though, that definition doesn’t fully give credit to the key role that our minds play in our everyday lives. What about our emotions and how our minds can take us on a rollercoaster ride from stratospheric highs to chasm like lows. An out of control mind can make you see things, feel things that aren’t there.

Actually, when you think about it, this collection of thoughts governs much of our happiness and other emotions. It plays a huge hand in determining who we are, how we act, what we like and how we interact within the confines of society. I have to wonder then, why it’s one of the most misunderstood concepts. There is a chance I may have gotten something a little bit wrong here. In addition, we pay so little attention to our poor minds. Often even medical professionals only really deal with the physical and biological, i.e. the body: this piece of meat and flesh that we lump around. Surely isn’t our a mind a little more important than the rest of us?

The mind is a powerful tool, but unchecked it can be deadly. I find it sad that even today; many people don’t acknowledge the mind, the significance it places on our lives and the differences between it and our brains.

The mind is something about which I often write, or rather, people being mindless. (Here’s a post I did a while ago entitled: What about a day to celebrate our minds...?. On a side note, I'm sure I've posted that post twice... O where is my mind.) I’ve said the next line so many times, "We’ve developed brains capable of incredible thought." We’re not using them though. Most are content to let their brains atrophy while lounging in front of the soul-sucking plastic and glass moving picture box that we call TV.

(Link to What is the mind? and What is the Mind? – Part 3)

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment