I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

29 Aug 2013

What books can do to improve us - Part 1

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
That was a quote by Albert Einstein, esteemed theoretical physicist, and some might say the father of modern physics. It might sound like an odd thing to say for someone who had such a deep love and understanding of the sciences and the real world. Typically, scientists are used to working in a lab, with things that are measurable. They collect data and build reports. So what was Einstein doing talking about something intangible, something that lives in our minds? Well, Einstein realized that there is more to life that what we can perceive with our five senses alone. And he knew that the only way to get there was through our imaginations. He knew that we first had to dream the impossible dream, and only then can we make it a reality.

It seems that we have things a little backwards in our society today though. Not many people esteem imagination, book or reading, or even intelligence. Often, society calls the ones who do nerds, geeks or four-eyes. Sometimes this even results in bullying, victimization or abuse.


Instead, many have fallen prey to the images that we find in glossy magazines, newspapers and on TV: perfectly airbrushed models trying to sell us things, that most of the time we don’t even need. Things like a newer, fancier car, or even flashier clothes. I’m talking about adverts like the Axe deodorant ad on the right. The underlying message is if you wear Axe, women will be all over you. And look at his smile; if you wear Axe, you’ll be happy and everything will be great in your life. From years of personal experience, I can tell you that this is basically a lie!

Adverts like this, tell us to ‘work’ on our outsides: buy better shoes, bigger house, more of this or that. It tells us that we can find happiness in buying things and materialism: gadgets and gizmos such as cell phones and other communication technology devices. It’s cool to have the latest cell phone today: Galaxy S4 or iPhone. Those that don’t have a fancy cell, often aspire to have one. I went to a shopping center the other day and found eight stores dedicated to selling cell phones and accessories. In some homes today, when mom is cooking, she uses her Blackberry to tell the children that supper is ready, instead of walking the few steps to talk to them face to face.

What books can do to improve us as people - Part 2
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 3
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 4
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 5
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 6
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 7
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 8
What books can do to improve us as people - Part 9

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

11 comments:

  1. Hmm, very interesting. Nice start on Part 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks James. I apprecaite that. Part two was out yesterday, and part three and four will follow today. Send me a mail, if you'd like me to send you the entire article. I post it in parts on the internet because it makes it a little easier to digest :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel you are welcome. I will read part 2 today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks James.
    It's nice to know someone out there is reading :)
    Part 3 and 4 are out as well.


    Enjoy the rest of your day
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting read. I stumbled upon this on Twitter and am really glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tony.
    Thank for your comment.
    I apprecaite that.
    It's nice to know people out there are reading it.
    All 9 parts are up so please feel free ot have a read.
    I also wrote something about readingh and depression the other day.
    It's on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read it all. Thank you. Will keep your blog in my reading list. It makes me proud to be part of the few people in Africa who enjoy and embrace reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great, thanks Tony.
    Did you get the mail that I sent?
    I'll be starting a new article today:" Why I don't like technology"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't receive any email from you. Will be looking forward to it

    ReplyDelete
  10. O, no. Maybe I got your email address incorrect. Discuss is sticky when it see 'at' and things like that.
    Send me a message via my contact us page, and I'll get your email address from there.
    Then I'll send the full article if you still want it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Received it thank you.

    ReplyDelete