I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

9 Apr 2013

I was scam’d!

Selling books at markets and fairs is not easy. Until you make a name for yourself, it’s a pretty challenging time. So, while at a market one day, one of the other vendors told me that she is making money with some business. She said I should come and have a look. I’m always interested in what people have to say, and if I’m going to be in her area, why not have a look...

I visited her one day and within one minute, I was skeptical. The company that she was working for / with was Zeek.com (did you notice the ‘zzz’ in the title?). I asked her for the basics and she told me it was a multilevel marketing company.

(Shields up!)

This was apparently her living so I didn’t want to disrespect her, and I had some time to kill before the traffic became bad, so I stuck around and listened.

"I know the deal, I’ve done sales presentations. I don’t need the entire story. Just give me the gist," I told her. She rambled on and on, and eventually I asked her, "What does one have to pay? And what does one have to do every day?" Another long-winded explanation followed, but the gist was that you only need five minutes a day to post an advert on the internet and you’ll make thousands of dollars a month. She told me about all the people she knew who were earning truckloads of cash.

I wanted to get out there, so I asked her how I could join as a free member and what would I have to do each day.

"No problem," she said, while she set up the free account.

"Just go to this site everyday and copy and paste this advert."

"Great." and I was out of there.

Of course, there were many catches: you can only draw out a percentage of your millions at any given time. The rest you need to leave there to make more money.

"Hmmm... Okay..."

You have to pay a monthly subscription.

"So you can’t just take it out of my millions?"

Now a few things strike me as odd here. If this company and all the people who are working for them are making so much money, why is there a monthly subscription? If all these people are making so much money, why can’t they draw it out? If I was a business owner and had a 'billion-dollar idea' that only required five minutes a day from a few barely skilled people, and they would each be able to buy their own islands, wouldn’t I just employ someone to do all those five minutes of work and become the richest person in the world… That’s kind of how just about every non-scam business out there works, isn’t it...? And where does all this money come from?

There is no free money out there people! There are no quick fixes, no easy way to do it. If an idea is so good, the person with the idea will attempt to reap all the rewards themselves. That’s human nature. Any business that’s making so much money and still requires that you pay a monthly subscription is probably a scam. The money is not real; it’s virtual money. It’s easy to build a site and say, "You are a millionaire. You just need to pay a little money, monthly, to get it out. However, you can’t take it all out because then you won’t have anything to grow anymore." Come on! That sounds exactly like the mail I got from one of my new friends, Price Danjuma of Nigeria. All I need to do is pay the $500 of bank charges and he’ll transfer $10,000,000 into my bank account. What; it’s my lucky day! (Other common names for Nigerians: Greg and Paul. So don’t be fooled when a Greg sends you a mail promising to make you rich, if you just...)

The reason I am writing this article today is that www.zeek.com is no longer available. The company is under investigation. Big surprise... The woman who introduced this to me had put herself into a position where she relied on this business to survive. Now she is buggered and I feel very sorry for her. "The women who got me involved assured me everything was legit," she said. Yes, just like all scams, they tell you when it’s aboveboard or not. Same like drug smugglers who declare the half kilo of heroin they shoved up their bums before boarding.

O, and contrary to the title, I was not scam’d :)

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone.

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment