I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

17 Mar 2013

A little about me and families in general today

Hi, I’m Daniel.

I was born in Durban, South Africa, into a middle class family. A year later my brother was born. All seems pretty much average at this point. However, my story is a sad one, filled with loneliness. You see, my family is dysfunctional. Well actually, how is dysfunction defined these days? I say this because it seems more and more families are dysfunctional today. It seems more the norm. Divorce, alcoholic parents, parents who work all the time, parents who are there physically and provide every material possession for their children but never sit down and actually communicate with them.

Now before we go any further, I would just like to say, much of the base of this information is from observations of many families. I’m not talking about my family only. My parents are good people. I believe this strongly. They did whatever they could. I feel that lacked the proper skills. No one ever taught them what to do.

Notice above, I said communicate, not talk, because parents love to talk, o yes. Scream, shout, “Do this,” “do that,” and the even more common, “don’t do this,” and “don’t do that.” Where is ask you though, is the, “How are you today? I want to hear about your day,” “Come to the kitchen with me and help me make dinner; even if you make mistakes,” “Let’s go kick a ball outside together,” and probably the most important of all, “What are you really feeling deep inside?”

You see the problem with all this is it becomes difficult to build proper communication and relationship building skills. It’s not that it’s then impossible to find friends, but what friends do you find? Drug users and alcohol abusers? Maybe, it’s certainly a possibility. With the number of alcoholics on the rise, I don’t think I’m far off. Alcohol, drugs and wild promiscuity only mask the pain though. They are only a temporary fix, a short-term solution, too much larger problems.

“How big a problem?” you ask… Well, the World Health Organization estimates that by the year 2020 the number one cause of disability in the world is going to be depression. Humanity: with our superior intellect and a neo-cortex that far outstrips any other animal on the planet, have large, large numbers brimmed with despair, ready for it to spill over into our private lives, our work and our relationships.

I have written my story to help other, to stop the tide of children falling victim to the clutches of depression. I want to share all the lessons that I wish I had learned, so that parents may take note and change before it’s too late.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone.

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment