I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

21 Feb 2013

Indie author| blog tour: The Bronze and the Brimstone by LoryKaufman

Why I was fated to become a writer of Futuristic Fiction
by Lory Kaufman


I’m so very pleased and excited that my last book of The Verona Trilogy, entitled, The Loved and the Lost, is being released February 5th, 2013. It’s been a long time coming. You see, I wanted to be an author of futuristic fiction since I read William Golding’s Lord of the Flies when I was fourteen years old. What really attracted me to his work, besides the underlying themes, was how his style of writing appealed to both young people and adults. It took me a little longer than I wanted to accomplish my dream of being a published writer, but that’s okay. The first book of the series, The Lens and the Looker came out in 2011 I was sixty-years-old. The second book, The Bronze and the Brimstone, came out later the same year. And now, the third part is done, so all in all, I’ve been making pretty good progress.
The other month a person asked me what it took to be a writer of futuristic fiction. Besides mentioning being inspired by writers like Golding, I also mentioned my life-long interest in ecology, green politics, population studies, action and adventure stories, etc. These are things that have to do with being influenced by the world around you, the old "nurture" theory. But a few days later a very early childhood memory came to mind that suggested I might have been fated to be a writer of speculative fiction from birth, so perhaps there was a heavy influence of "nature" too. Let me tell you about it.
It was about 1954, sometime during the winter in Toronto, Canada. I was 3 or 4 years old. My teenage cousin, Marlene, put me on a sleigh and pulled me down Brunswick Avenue, which is a very long street, and then took me on a loop around the block. It probably took close to half an hour.
When we got back to my home at 484 Brunswick, my childish brain had a very strange thought. It actually frightened me and that’s probably why I remember this so vividly. I saw my house and thought, "This looks like my house, but I’ve gone all around the block and maybe this really isn’t my house now. The people inside, my mother and father, sister, my grandmother and aunt, I bet they’re not the really the same people, even though they’ll look the same.’ And when Marlene took me inside and my mother picked me up, I stared at her very intently, almost angrily, looking for some sign of ... alienness."
As an adult who writes futuristic fiction, my stories include time travel and alternative histories, which means, alternative universes. And back in the 1960’s, when I began to read, watch television and go to movies, I gravitated to science fiction and spiritual themes. But when I had this sleigh-ride experience, we didn’t have a television yet and my family didn’t read those types of things.
So, how in the heck did such fantastical thoughts get into the head of a young child? There are only two conclusions. Either my fertile dyslectic and ADD mind was starting to do its "thing", or . . . somewhere on that sleigh ride, we crossed through an inter-dimensional portal and I was raised by parents other than my own. Actually that would explain quite a lot.
***
"I write Post-Dystopian fiction. After society’s collapse, which is imagined in so many great dystopian stories, humans will either fade into history with the dinosaurs or, if it learns the right lessons, society will go on to construct a civilization to last tens of thousands of years. The stories of The Verona Trilogy are the exciting adventures of young people doing the latter." –Lory Kaufman
Lory lives and works in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. He has three grown children and one grandchild. To find out more about The Verona Trilogy and how to purchase it, go to www.lorykaufman.com


About The Lens and the Looker
It's the 24th century and humans, with the help of artificial intelligences, (A.I.s) have finally created the perfect society. To make equally perfect citizens for this world, the elders have created History Camps, full-sized recreations of cities from Earth’s distant pasts. Here teens live the way their ancestors did, doing the same dirty jobs and experiences the same degradations. History Camps teach youths not to repeat the mistakes that almost caused the planet to die. But not everything goes to plan.Like in all groups of youth, there are those who rebel, “hard cases” who just don’t get it. In this first installment of a trilogy, three spoiled teens from the year 2347 are kidnapped back in time to 1347 Verona, Italy. There they are abandoned and left with only two choices: adapt to the harsh medieval ways, or die. Hansum, almost 17, is good looking, athletic and, as his A.I. teacher says, he can charm the fuzz off a peach. Shamira is 15. She has green eyes, auburn hair, and a Caucasian complexion. That's something people don't see that much of in the 24th century. She's sassy, independent and has an artistic genius for drawing. Lincoln, 14, is the smart-aleck. But you don't have to scratch too far beneath the surface to find his insecurities.There are two types of artificial intelligences (A.I.s) in the 24th-century. The first are authorized by society and very conservative. Then there are ‘genies’. Made by black-market hackers, or blackers, these rascals are the bi-polar opposite of their unadventurous cousins. A genie’s aim in life is to help rebellious youth make mischief. Pan, is a very mischievous genie. A curious mix of past and future, he’s an eccentric, all-knowing, holographic artificial intelligence in the cartoon shape of the vaunted Greek god. Pan's antics and insights get the kids both into and out of trouble.Our three teen protagonists meet at a History Camp where everything and everybody must act like it is 14th-century Verona, Italy. Society’s plan is to put trouble-making kids into situations where they are “scared straight”. But Hansum knows better. He’s aware that behind the scenes there are armies of humans and A.I.’s making sure they are safe. Using Pan, the teens devise a plan to drive the History Camp enactors crazy, and they succeed. But what they’re not prepared for is that a History Camp elder from the 31st century, (where time-travel is possible) kidnaps them back to the real medieval Verona. Here they are indentured to an alcoholic lens maker. Now, unquestionably, the dangers are real.All of this is hardly the ideal environment to fall in love – but, for Hansum, that’s exactly what happens. Guilietta is the beautiful daughter of the master the teens are working for. She becomes the star-crossed and time-crossed lover of our story’s Romeo - Hansum. In fact, the novel is peppered with lots of fun allusions to Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. In an attempt to survive the teenage trio, with Pan’s help, risks introducing technology from the future. It could save them – or it could change history.


About The Bronze and the Brimstone
What could go wrong in the 14th-century for three time-traveling teens? How about – EVERYTHING!
Hansum, Shamira and Lincoln, three teens from the 24th century, are trapped in 14th-century Verona, Italy. They’ve survived many deadly experiences by keeping their wits about them and by introducing futuristic technology into the past. Principal among these inventions is the telescope, which brought them to the attention of the rich and powerful.
But standing out can get you into unexpected and dangerous situations. The nobles of Verona now believe Hansum is a savant, a genius inventor, especially after he brings them plans for advanced cannons and black powder. Being the center of attention is great, but the potential for trouble is now exponentially greater because people are watching Hansum’s every move.
Meanwhile, artistic genius Shamira has fallen for a Florentine artist with bloody and disastrous consequences. Lincoln, considered an incompetent back home in the 24th-century, has blossomed – at least until he’s shot in the head with an arrow. And Hansum, after secretly marrying his new master’s beautiful daughter, Guilietta, is offered the hand in marriage of lady Beatrice, daughter of the ruler of Verona. To refuse could mean calamity for all the teens.
Amazingly, none of this is their biggest challenge. Because a rash illness is spreading across Verona – and it is threatening to consume everyone.
Do they have a future in this past?

About The Loved and the Lost
A Quest for Lost Love, an Adventure of Many Lifetimes
They are three 24th-century time travelers desperate to return to 14th-century Verona and reclaim their medieval family’s shattered lives. It is a mission fraught with danger and the risk of unexpected consequences for themselves and their worlds. For all three, it is a matter of the heart. For one, though, it is truly the only thing that matters, as the fate of his eternal love and the life of their unborn child is the prize to be won – or lost forever.
In this, the final book of The Verona Trilogy, Hansum, Shamira and Lincoln go on the boldest adventure of their lives. They will face hardship, tragedy, and threats from sources they couldn’t have imagined – all in an effort to wrestle a future from the steely grip of an unforgiving past.

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment