I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

11 Dec 2012

Christmas time pressies and parenting

    It’s Christmas time again, and each year I help my dad with some charity work he does. He organizes those present wrapping stations at local shopping centers. So yesterday was day-one and I had a rather interesting conversation with one of the passers-by’s. He regaled me a story of how easy it was to buy gifts for his two children when they were small. Now that they are teenagers, the task is much more arduous.
    “Whatever I buy for them,” he said, “they don’t like. Before iPods were popular, before they were ‘cheap’, I bought my daughter one. Now that they are ‘cool’ she wants one, but doesn’t even know where hers is…”
    He continued to tell me about the thousands and thousands of rands he spends on inane, meaningless, material gifts each Christmas and birthday, each one successively flashier and more expensive than the last. And, well, certainly NOT to my surprise, each one received with the same initial joy and elation that accompanies this culture of marketing that has been indoctrinated into all of us, which very quickly fades in our minds, in the same way the presents fade into the backs of our cupboards. The only item he could think of that would top the previous barrage of aesthetically pleasing plastic and transistors, was a laptop. Needless to say, there were laptops displayed in the shop window behind us. So, what’s next: a car, a boat, a house, your own island? Where does it end?
    I said to him, “Is it maybe not material gifts that your children need, and for what they are searching. Is it maybe something a little more…?”
    Of course, as usual, deaf ears met my comments.
    I offer you this, a gift and it’s free: this year, merriment and joy under the tree, not with goods and objects, but rather with other human beings.

Time for some more honesty.
If you like what I have to say, please support me by buying my book.
I'm trying hard to change perceptions, bu the reality is I need help and support.


If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment