I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

17 Dec 2012

10 Things You Didn’t Know About Hunter Shea

When I was asked to come up with this list, I first thought, no way! First, I’m a guy. We all know introspection is not in the Dude’s Vocabulary Guidebook (Vol. 12). I rejected the concept even more when I realized I’d be opening my closet wide, frantically trying to kick those old skeletons back inside. “This is a bad idea, Hunter,” I said. Yeah, I talk to myself a lot.
Then I had a change of heart after stealing all the toys and food in Whoville. OK, maybe it didn’t exactly go down like that, but the more I thought about it, the more I said aloud, “Go for it. What’s the worst that can happen?” My friend Tom likes to say that at least once a day and he’s still around and smiling, so why not?
Here you have it, 10 things that I’d rather keep to myself but what’s the worst that can happen?
1.    I was once force-fed a long, wet, dirt-speckled worm by an older kid on my block. Luckily, after I got it down (without chewing), he punched me in the stomach and I spit it right back up. But I’ll never forget the taste.
2.    That same kid had a sister who got into a fight with me and kicked my butt from one end of the street to the other. Oddly enough, when I came into my house crying about it, my parents told me to eat a slice of cheese and settle down. The healing power of Kraft singles.
3.    When adults asked me as a kid what I wanted to be when I grew up, I’d tell them, in all honesty, a Playboy photographer. Oh, the faces!
4.    My wife was custom ordered for me in a Vitamin store. I had just had a bad break up and my manager asked me to describe my dream girl. When I came in 3 days later, he excitedly pointed out the exotic, raven haired girl shelving vitamins. “That’s the one you described!” he said. I spent the next 6 months asking her out, and 25 years at her side.
5.    I didn’t even think of being a writer until I was in my mid-twenties and stuck in a dead end job. It started as a form of stress relief and morphed into a career. Thank you phone company for making me so miserable I had to turn to my creative side to keep from losing my mind.
6.    In college, I started my own fraternity with a handful of friends. My nickname was Yak. I was hairy (this was the height of metal) and tended to throw up a lot (see #1).
7.    My first novel was accepted by Dorchester’s Leisure Horror line, but the company imploded before I could sign the final contract. Thankfully, my editor, Don D’Auria, held on to my manuscript and brought it with him when he went to Samhain Publishing.
8.    The very first book I ever wrote was a romantic comedy. Hey, I have a soft side, too.
9.    My first cat, Priscilla, that I was only supposed to keep for a week, lived with me for 21 years. She used to sit and watch me type away at my awful early books and stories and never passed judgment. We place her collar on our Christmas tree every year. It sounds creepier than it is. Really.
10.    The first draft of my novella, Swamp Monster Massacre, was written in 2 weeks. I spent a week and a half doing revisions. It was the Evelyn Wood school of speed writing and even though I swore I’d never do it again, I broke that promise several months later. This time, I pinky swear I’ll never do that again!

About Hunter Shea
Hunter Shea is the author of the novels Forest of Shadows and Evil Eternal, Swamp Monster Massacre and the upcoming Sinister Entity. His stories have appeared in numerous magazines, including Dark Moon Digest, Morpheus Tales and the upcoming anthology, Shocklines : Fresh Voices in Terror. His obsession with all things horrific has led him to real life exploration of the paranormal, interviews with exorcists and other things that would keep most people awake with the lights on. He is also half of the Monster Men video podcast, a fun look at the world of horror. You can read about his latest travails and communicate with him at www.huntershea.com, on Twitter @HunterShea1, Facebook fan page at Hunter Shea or the Monster Men 13 channel on YouTube.


About Swamp Monster Massacre
The swamp belongs to them. Humans are only prey. Deep in the overgrown swamps of Florida, where humans rarely dare to enter, lives a race of creatures long thought to be only the stuff of legend. They walk upright but are stronger, taller and more brutal than any man. And when a small boat of tourists, held captive by Rooster Murphy, a fleeing small time crook, accidentally kills one of the swamp dwellers’ young, the creatures are filled with a terrifyingly human emotion—a merciless lust for vengeance that will paint the trees red with blood.
If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment