I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

14 Nov 2012

Indie book blog tour: Sundowners by Tonia Brown



This post is part of a indie book blog tour for Sundowners by Tonia Brown. Go check out the rest of the tour here.

Title: Sundowners
Author: Tonia Brown
Published: September 30th, 2012
Genre: Horror
Word Count: Approx. 80,000
Cover Art: Philip R. Rogers

Synopsis:
SUNDOWNERS is a backwoods southern horror about the importance of family, the power of gossip and the nature of the artistic muse.

Fifteen years ago, siblings Coil and Cassiopeia suffered an incident in the woods behind their family home. An incident that neither of them can remember in full, that nearly killed Cass and left Coil accused as her abuser, and robbed young Coil of his artistic potential yet boosted his little sister into an almost overnight sensation in the art world. Now, fifteen years later, the self-exiled Coil has been called home to deal with his world famous sister as she suffers from Sundowning; severe and violent personality shifts after the sun sets. In order to cure her, the pair of siblings must come to terms with their old demons, both figuratively and literally. An ancient and terrible horror has risen once more from the backwoods of the family home, and this time it threatens to not only tear their family apart, but also the entire world.

Excerpt
Naomi eyed the straight razor she’d nipped from Mr. Baxter’s shaving kit. He wouldn’t mind that she used it to cut the donations from the aged, spotted backs, wrinkly thighs and flabby arms of the residents. She reckoned he would be mighty proud to have been so involved. Now it was her turn to make a donation. She still had a few squares left to work into the quilt, but that could wait. This was more important. They all should give their fair share.

She took up the razor and turned it on herself. Naomi cut away her fair share with a few determined slices, not to mention a whole lot of wincing and hissing. Using the corner of the razor, she peeled back the edge of her square, just a bit. She grasped this loose end of flesh and yanked, pulling along the guidelines she had worked into her own calf. The bloody square came away in one piece, then slipped from her trembling fingers with a wet slop to the floor. No bother. A little dirt wouldn’t make it any worse for wear. She planned on washing the whole quilt when she was done anyway.

Lightheaded and nauseated, Naomi picked up her needle and went back to work.

The voice guided her tired hands, assuring her that this was the right thing to do.

For the community.

About the Author:
Tonia Brown’s short stories have appeared in a variety of anthologies. She has cranked out several books, including The Cold Beneath, Badass Zombie Road Trip, Skin Trade, and the erotic steampunk series Clockworks and Corsets. Tonia lives in North Carolina with her genius husband and an ever fluctuating number of cats. When not writing she raises unicorns and fights crime with her husband under the code names “Dr. Weird and his sexy sidekick Butternut.”




Giveaway Details

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Interview

1)  A military brat… I’m from South Africa and we don’t really have that / those here. I see it in movies all the time but I’ve never ‘met’ an actual military brat. Can you tell me a little more about life as a military brat?

BRAT stands for Born Raised And Trapped in the service. It implies that because you’re born and raised in the service you will end up serving. I probably would’ve too, save for the fact I have a weight issue. My father struggled with it his whole military career.
Otherwise being a military kid was a pretty interesting life. We moved around a lot, which usually makes it kind of hard to make friends, but I had a built in friend in my twin, so that wasn’t an issue. I was born in South Carolina, spent my early youth in Japan, moved to Georgia, then Florida.

2)  Where is the best place you ever lived and why?

Actually, I like the state I am in now. North Carolina is a really nice. Funky weather patterns, but otherwise I love it here.

3)  Wow, so many Tonie’s in your family. How do you all manage to communicate with one another? What happens when someone calls out, “Hey Tonie,” at the family barbeque?

Well, my dad has passed away, so there’s that. We call my husband Mr. Brown. And when I say we, I mean pretty much everyone we know.

4)  You say that ‘technically’ your cats are cats. Technically, if they weren’t cats, what would they be?

Great gods I don’t even want to think about that. I imagine my eldest, Little Boots, would be a little imp. He is always getting into trouble, and has a way of manipulating you into doing his bidding. My female, Princess, would be a slug, because she pretty much just lies around and does little else.

5)  What song do you want to be played at your funeral?

I’m going to steal my husband’s answer here: I want the song Another Train played at my funeral. Unless I get hit by a train. In that case, I’ll leave it to my family to decide.

6)  You say Sundowners is about the dangers of gossip. Why do you say gossip is dangerous?

If you lived here in the south you wouldn’t have to ask that. Gossip ruins people’s lives and tears families apart. It’s an awful, awful thing. I wished folks would consider what they are saying when they think no one is listening.

7)  Tell me a little about your talk show. Is it a radio show? Is it only broadcast in the US?

The show airs on Saturday nights at 9pm on www.tmvcafe.com and then podcasts to iTunes the week after. As far as I know, anyone should be able to access it. I’ve interviewed folks from all over the world too. Scotland, New Zealand, Canada … I’ve had a lot of foreign guests.

8)  Do you still have plush toys?

Okay, get a pen and paper, and have yourself a seat cause this is gonna take a minute.

I still sleep with a teddy bear I got for Christmas when I was twelve. When I first got married my husband suggested that I wouldn’t need it anymore now that I had him. I just smiled and nodded because I knew better. Within a week I was waking up without my bear, and I would have to wrestle it away from my sleeping husband before I could go back to sleep. Eventually he got his own stuffed monkey to sleep with, but I took that one too.

I have a variety of smaller stuffies, because my husband tends to ply me with little plush animals because I don’t really do candy or jewelry. I have lots of little ponies and bears and monkeys, and I love them all. Seriously, I’m like a six year old girl when it comes to these things!

I also … hey! I said this was gonna take a minute so sit back down.

*clears throat* I also collect puppets. Each one gets its own name and personality and distinct voice, and occasionally I will sew outfits for them. I have been known to do some YouTube work with puppets and will pretty much put on a show for anyone that stands still long enough to watch. And if you don’t I will just follow you around with it.

9)  As a writer, do you ever seem to see things that others don’t? Let me explain. You used the phrase “shoot the shit.” Immediately, I see a picture of two friends running out into a cow pasture with BB guns and shooting cow poo’s. Notice that I said it was two friends together. So, they are having a grand old time! Am I alone in my madness or do other share the same lunacy?

Oh yea, I do it all the time. It’s the curse of being a writer, I suppose. The worst part is when someone jokingly says something dirty about someone, but you envision the whole thing anyways. Ugh. Erase! Erase! What the inner eye has seen cannot be unseen!

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment