I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

23 Nov 2012

Indie Author Book Tour - Helix Series by Jade Kerrion

It's indie author book tour time again my peeps. And this time, I'm the first stop on the tour. What an honor! Today's tour is for Jade Kerrion and her new series titled Double Helix. The individual titles in the series are
Perfection unleashed, which can be found on smashwords here
Perfect Betrayal, which can be found on smashwords here, and
Perfect Weapon, which can be found on smashwords here.
You can find the rest of the tour stops here.Go check it out :)

We have a little interview with Jade, so enjoy and go check out some of the other tour stops.
Tell me a little about you.

Ah, how to condense nearly four decades of life into a paragraph? I've been many things in my life. Professionally, I've been a HR executive, management consultant, business strategist, and communication expert. Personally, I'm a daughter, sister, wife, and mother to two young sons. I've lived in Malaysia, Singapore, and most recently, the United States. And last, but not least, I consider myself a gamer and a writer.

Tell me a little about your children.

My elder son is almost six. He is charming, affectionate, and loves cuddling. The younger is three and a half. He is more rambunctious and frequently tackles his big brother. He too loves cuddling, just not with his brother. My job, as the mother, is to be the “Mommy Line” and provide each of them someone to cuddle against who is not their brother.

Currently a gamer. What games are you playing now?

I do consider myself a gamer, but at this time, gaming has taken second place to writing. I’ve found that with only twenty-four hours in a day, something had to give. My job and my responsibilities as a parent didn’t seem negotiable, and I had to choose between gaming and writing. If I had time though, the first game I’d dive back into would be Guild Wars II.

It seems you are plagued with the curse of many writers: you have worked in various jobs and industries. Why do you think that is?

I think the question isn’t specific to writers, per se. People in our grandparents’ generation used to work with one company their entire lives. People in our parents’ generation used to work with multiple companies, but within one industry, i.e., they had one career path. Increasingly, we’re finding that jobs are evolving so quickly that people in our generation and those that follow us will have three or four careers over our lifetime. Our challenge is to keep gaining skills and expertise that keep us relevant.

Tell me a little about your book

The Double Helix is an award-winning science fiction series that is closer to fact than most of us realize. Built upon the premise of genetic engineering, it wraps a fast-paced action-adventure and compelling characters around the age-old societal issues of equality and justice in the face of unequal talents. You can read the series for the emotional and physical roller coaster ride, or dig deeper to the philosophical questions beneath.

Given the state of genetic research today, do you think there will come a time when we will be able to artificially manufacture traditional “superpowers?” Things like the ability to fly, super strength or the ability to see through walls.

I think we will continue to amaze ourselves with our ingenuity.  If I were to ask you, which of the following is true, which would you pick?

1.    We used genetic engineering to transfer bioluminescent genes from coral and deep-sea jellyfish to create glow-in-the-dark mice, cats, dogs, pigs, and monkeys
2.    We created bug-bots by implanting wires in the central nervous system of insects, and we can now control their movements, including flight
3.    We created organic robots by implanting wires in the central nervous system of rats, and we can now control what they do
4.    We used organic computer chips made out of rat neurons to control a flight simulator
5.    We isolated a brain of a lamprey eel and placed it in a nutrient medium, surrounded by electrodes. The living, intact brain controls a machine that moves toward the light (in much the same way a lamprey eel moves toward the light)
6.    We used a DNA synthesizer to create an artificial organic cell. (Isn’t that an oxymoron?) The computer is its parent

Fact is, all of them are true. Genetic engineering has been there and done that. No question, the “traditional” superpowers are going to be trickier to design into humans, but if you’d asked me ten years ago, I’d have scoffed at the idea of bug bots and organic robots too…

Anything else interesting?

One of the protagonists of the Double Helix series, Danyael Sabre, has existed in one form of another from the earliest pieces of my writing. He first came to life in a fantasy Play-By-E-mail (PBEM) in 1997, and with the persistence of an undying vampire, has managed to show up in every major piece of work I've written since then, always evolving just enough to stay fascinating and relevant to whatever I'm writing. My husband once told me that he's tired of competing with Danyael for my attention; Danyael's that real.

If Danyael was with you right now, what would he say to you?

I think he’d tell me to ease up and take a break. My word count in 2010 was ~100,000. It was ~150,000 in 2011, and will be about ~170,000 in 2012. This number is just for my novels and does not include all the writing I’ve done towards my blog. Add my blog word count, and the 2012 will almost certainly break ~200,000 words. In addition, I’ve been investing hours in navigating the self-publishing and marketing process. I am unquestionably burning the candle at both ends, and sooner or later, it’ll catch up with me. I don’t know if Danyael’s obvious and good advice will be strong enough to set my compulsive nature on the backburner, however briefly, but he’s right. Writing and publishing is a marathon, not a 100-metre sprint. You have to pace yourself to succeed over the long-term without burning out over the short-term.

If you were a raindrop, where would you fall?

Yosemite Valley. I think it’s one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Have you ever fallen asleep while writing?

Oh, yes, haven’t we all? I do a lot of my writing at night, and usually write until I’m nodding off at my computer. Novembers are especially rough since I take part in NaNoWriMo. It is a peer-pressured self-challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in November’s 30 days.

Author Bio:

Jade Kerrion unites cutting-edge science and bioethics with fast-paced action in her award-winning Double Helix series. Drawing rave reviews for its originality and vision, and described as “a breakout piece of science fiction,” Perfection Unleashed, and its sequels, Perfect Betrayal and Perfect Weapon, are available in print and e-book through Amazon and other major retailers.

About The Double Helix series: 

His genetic code sourced from the best that humanity offers, Galahad embodies the pinnacle of perfection. When Zara Itani, a mercenary whose abrasive arrogance exceeds her beauty, frees him from his laboratory prison, she offers him the chance to claim everything that had ever been denied him, beginning with his humanity.

Perfection cannot be unleashed without repercussions, and Galahad’s freedom shatters Danyael Sabre’s life.

An alpha empath, Danyael is rare and coveted, even among the alpha mutants who dominate the Genetic Revolution. He wields the power to heal or kill with a touch, but craves only privacy and solitude—both impossible dreams for the man who was used as Galahad’s physical template.

Galahad and Danyael, two men, one face. One man seeks to embrace destiny, and the other to escape it.

The award-winning Double Helix series, consisting of Perfection Unleashed, Perfect Betrayal, and Perfect Weapon, will challenge your notions of perfection and humanity, and lead you in a celebration of courage and compassion. Science fiction, urban fantasy, and action-adventure readers will enjoy this thrilling roller-coaster ride as it twists and turns through a world transformed by the Genetic Revolution.

Social media and buy links:

Connect with Jade Kerrion:
Blog / Facebook / Twitter
Perfection Unleashed:
Amazon / Amazon UK / Smashwords
Perfect Betrayal:
Amazon / Amazon UK / Smashwords
Perfect Weapon:
Amazon / Amazon UK / Smashwords

If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

2 comments:

  1. Dear Daniel,

    Thank you so much for kicking off my blog tour! I really appreciate the opportunity to be featured on your blog.

    Love, Jade

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pleasure Jade
    I hope it brings you much success!

    ReplyDelete