I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

12 Oct 2012

Parenting talk - part 2

Hello world

This is the second part of the talk that I give to parents about my book.

Link to
Parenting talk - part 1
Parenting talk - part 3
Parenting talk - part 4
Parenting talk - part 5

I’m just going to mention some of the major statistics. Of the 15,000 high school learners sampled, nationally 40% admitted to having had sex already. 8% had had an abortion or a partner who had had an abortion. I personally know some people who have had abortions and kept it a secret from their parents and partners. I know of many others who, “forget to take the pill” or have used the morning after pill. These aren’t people who live in rural communities far away from us, where we think all the bad things happen; they are people like most of us here. I don’t know if anyone else feels it, but I get the feeling, especially in the white community, that we think everything bad happens out in the sticks. The people I’m talking about however, live in suburbs just like this. 14% of the group surveyed had had their first sexual experience before they were 14 years old, and that age is continuing to go down. Again, I know people who belong in this group.

Another survey showed that almost 30% of Gauteng learners use some form of drugs. The starting age for drug and alcohol abuse is now 12 year old and getting younger.

The World Health organization estimates that by the year 2020, the leading cause of disability in the world will be depression.

Many people think the kids who act out, are the only ones who are going through a tough time. But, what about the kids who don’t regularly vent or let their frustrations out? The ones who don’t express themselves well and don’t want to be rule breakers. Just because they don’t know how to act out yet, doesn’t mean it won’t happen in the future. This was my experience of growing up, and from personal experience, I can tell you it’s not healthy.

We can’t deny that more and more children are drinking. They are having sex from a younger and younger age. These are quantifiable, undisputable facts. Surely if this is happening, there must be a reason. The reason isn’t the result of anything malicious on parent’s parts. My book is a story about growing up, so please don’t get the impression that I’m berating any parents out there. That is not my intention at all. I believe that very few of us want to do anything intentionally malicious. The truth is that life has just changed so dramatically over the past few years. We’re all a lot busier than we used to be. Primarily, it’s financial pressures keeping us busy. Also, there is so many more stimuli around for parents to worry about such as TV, internet, and cell phones, all of which bombard us with marketing and advertising telling us how “cool” it is to get drunk and sleep around.

Link to Parenting talk - part 1 and Parenting talk - part 3.


If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment