I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

11 Oct 2012

Parenting talk - part 1

Hello all

I'm writing a talk that I have to present next Thursday on the dangers of substance abuse.
Some of it is emotional stuff.
So this got me thinking, I should release my current talk for the world to see.
In keeping with the internet and our short attention spans today, I'll release it in a few parts, so you don't have to read too much at one.

O and by the by, more on our mini-blog tour tomorrow.
Check out the last interview here Interview with Amelia du Plessis.

Hi everybody.
I’m Daniel.
My initials are actually D, A, D: or Dad.
Who would have thought that one day I’d write a book and do talks about parenting?
It’s been a long and winding journey for me. For my book specifically, I did a lot of research, I did many interviews. I spoke to teachers, children, counsellors, psychologists, psychiatrists, others that work in the mental health industry, people who work with children who have learning challenges, such as ADHD. Also, alcoholics, drug addicts and I have an opportunity to interview people who are in prison. I spoke to anybody who deals with children and growing up, and very importantly, our minds: something that as a society, we don’t pay much attention. In the right forum, I could talk for hours on these topics. However, we have limited time, so I just want to plant a seed. It’s going to be up to you to water the seed, to nurture it and to let it grow.
I don’t know if you are aware of this, but 80% of high school learners regularly consume alcohol. I didn’t have a great childhood and the statistics show that many more children are going through similar things. You don’t have to look far though, to see it. How often do we read in the paper about teenage pregnancies, teenage suicide, drug use, etc. There are root causes for all of these issues, which we don’t seem to be addressing as a society. I know it’s hard for parents to acknowledge that something may be wrong, because no one does anything intentionally malicious. The reality though, when you dive into this world is, something has gone a little awry…
It seems these days some parents are leaving their children underprepared for life in the real world. As I alluded above, we see it in the papers all the time. Yes, the media does add to the hype to sell more stories. However, I did some research and there are many independent surveys, which suggest the same thing.
One survey I found is primarily about teenagers and sex. It says:
The survey, which consisted of a sampling of 23 schools per province, was conducted for the purpose of providing nationally and provincially representative data on the prevalence of key risk behaviours, namely: intentional and unintentional injuries, violence, suicide-related behaviour, behaviours related to substance abuse, sexual behaviour, physical activity, and hygiene-related behaviours.
What this means to me, is that the professionals have reason to believe that teenage sexual behaviour, suicide-related behaviour, substance abuse and the other topics mentioned, may all in some small way be linked. I feel the same.

Link to
Parenting talk - part 2
Parenting talk - part 3
Parenting talk - part 4
Parenting talk - part 5


If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

8 comments:

  1. This is such an important topic. I'm a special education teacher and I agree that violence, alcohol abuse, sex, and other behaviors go hand in hand. I've seen way too much of it over the years and I'm anxious to read your other two parenting talks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather.
    An important topic indeed, but sadly misunderstood and it does not get the attention it deserves.
    My next talks (that I'm doing on Thursday for the first time) is on the dangers of substance abuse.
    I don't know how bad it is overseas, but here is South Africa, it's pretty bad (well according to the stats...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are issues that are all too familiar here in the Philippines, and yes they really need to be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more and more people comment, the more and more it seems it's a world wide problem.
    Let's hope we can all be pillars for change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too feel that one has to tackle the root cause and not just the symptoms that result from substance abuse. Going to read the other parts of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dom.
    Yip, we only deal with the symptoms in society.
    If someone is a drug addict, lets get them off drugs.
    But what about the reason why they were taking drugs??????
    Every person that I interviewed had a reason for doing what they were doing.
    99% of the time, it's loneliness (and I only say 99% and not 100% because you have to leave a little room for error).
    I could ramble on for hours, down this path, but I need to finish writing my next talk, for Thursday: The Dangers of Substance Abuse.
    Part four and five will be out in the next two days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots to think about here. Sometimes I tend to skip over these kinds of posts because my boys are so young...but then I remember that they will be teenagers one day, and I might as well begin preparing myself now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for reading crazedinthekitchen.
    I hope what I've said will serve you well one day.

    ReplyDelete