I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

31 Oct 2012

Indie book blog hop: Daniel Alexander

I’ve joined a blog hop, and I hope you’ll join me on this journey as we blog hop our way through some new reads. A blog hop gives readers an opportunity to find some wonderful authors you might have missed. Be sure to follow our blog hop and be introduced to some exciting reads as well as works in progress. Below you will be able to learn a little about me. You’ll also find links to Stephanie’s blog (howmanyfrogs.com). She follows me on the blog hop in Week 21. Be sure to check out Stephanie’s blog and her new book. You’ll be impressed.

Special thanks to Patricia Zick for asking me to participate. Check her out at
Twitter:  @PCZick
 Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PC-Zick-Author/155644747792596
Blog:  Writing Tips, Thoughts, and Whims
www.pittsburghwriter.com

Ten Interview Questions for The Next Big Thing Blog Hop:

Q: What is the working title of your book?
Through the Crimson Mirror

Q:Where did the idea come from for the book?
I didn’t have a great childhood, and when I look around, I see so many more children going through similar things. All statistics point in the same direction. More children, drink, use drugs, have abortion and the list goes on and on. Depression is getting worse and worse and worse. The sad truth when you dive into the world of parenting is something has gone a little awry. I realize that often it’s difficult for parents to acknowledge or accept this, as nobody does anything intentionally malicious. However, we must all face the reality. Thus, I wrote about all my experiences and all the lessons that I wish I had learned, all from the perspective from a child.

Q:What genre does your book fall under?
Autobiography, memoirs, parenting, non-fiction, self-help
It fits into all of those categories. I didn’t write it as a traditional self-help book, because it’s not that. I wrote it as a story, while highlighting lessons along the way.

Q: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Maybe that guy from Superbad. I think his name is Michael Cera.

Q:What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Give your children the best possible chance in life by learning from others.

Q: Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I self-published Through the Crimson Mirror.

Q:How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
I never really had one complete first draft. I did a little of this, a little of that, a chapter here, a chapter there. Then gave this chapter to one of my editors, and then got it back. Then off to the other editor. That kind of style of working works for me. Every time each of my editors made a correction, I had the opportunity to change it in the rest of the manuscript before I gave it to them. Thus, they would take it to yet another level. After we finished that, my editors looked at the entire manuscript, and we went through the entire process again. One of my editors in particular really helped me a lot.

Q: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Others have told me my book is on similar lines to Dave Pelzer’s My Story. Similarly, Dave also released his book in three parts. I bought Dave’s book, via a request from one of my readers. I haven’t yet read it though. It’s on my shelf waiting for me to finish the book I’m currently reading.

Q: Who or what inspired you to write this book?
All the children who are facing similar situations inspire me. I’m not talking about children who are beaten every day or other obvious dysfunctional homes. I’m talking about children who are growing up with divorced parents, parents who are emotionally abusive and don’t realize it, parents who drink a lot, parents who work all the time, and so the list goes on. The sad truth is, dysfunction has taken on so many faces today that it has almost become commonplace. Thus, we don’t realize the effect it has on people deep down inside. Again, I have to use statistics and research papers; so many children are suffering inside and lashing out with drugs, alcohol, bullying, becoming very shy and a range of self-destructive behaviors. We know it happening, we see it all the time. We need to change something. We need to do something about it, and we need to do it before it’s too late.

Q: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
My book is real. Human beings love reading the latest gossip about celebrities and every melt down they have. Why read about the latest celeb melt down, which realistically is going to fuel another celeb melt down, when you can read about changing things, so you can make your children’s lives better.


If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us know a little bit more about you, Daniel. I look forward to reading your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you for reading this post.
    I appreciate it :)
    Good luck to us both.

    ReplyDelete