I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

23 Oct 2012

Indie author interview: Liss Thomas

I'm interviewing indie author Liss Thomas today about her new book Finding Monsters.

Lets get right to it.

Liss is  40ish year old woman living in the States. Her and her husband travel the country at the moment for his job.  Liss loves animals, as is evident by the picture. Her background is in corporate finance. However, she has been writing full time for the past six months—lucky devil.
Finding Monsters is about Missy: a fighter and a survivor but when she finds herself in a realm of unique and sometimes deadly monsters, the fight intensifies.  Her monster, who accidentally brought her here, is weakened and unable to protector her.  The only way she can increase her strength, and his, is to become a monster herself.  But an unknown dark stalker watches her progress and if he steals her power, he will unleash it on both his world and the world she left behind.

1)  Aaah, writing while “on the road.” Have you read On the Road by Jack Kerouac? What do you think of him and his books?

I haven't read Kerouac but I may have to give it a read.  Traveling from California to South Carolina in four days lends itself to mostly sleeping during non-driving hours.

2)  The synopsis of your book, Finding Monsters, is very intriguing indeed! Who inspires the monsters in your book? And what is their significance in real life?

The premise of my book stemmed from a writer's prompt about childhood fears.  Monsters under the bed came to mind.  My thought process went to...why are they there?  What are they doing, so I gave them a job!  No real life significance, just a fun concept.

 3)  What do you think about Charlie Sheen?  

I don't follow his antics too closely but alas, I think his Fiat commercial is funny.

4)  Are any parts of your book based on real life?

Not in this one but a few characters in the next few works in progress have characteristics of several family members of mine :)

5)  What makes you and your book unique?

I don't really consider myself unique.  I've come from a world of corporate finance and recently was given the opportunity to travel and pursue my writing.  I've always had a creative side and it became apparent even in finance through colorful spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations!  I think my debut novel is unique because it came from me (and a few vivid grape soda dreams!).  There are no vampires or werewolves :)

6)  Often great inspirational works of art come from strife and sadness. For example Ernest Hemmingway was an ambulance driver in WWI. Have there been any major stressors in your life, which are formed and shaped who you are, and thus your book?

I'm thankful to have no complaints in my life but I see what others go through and it seeps into my writing.  I've had to deal with cancer in my family and it comes through in some situations in this novel and a later work in process.  Overall, I focus on what makes me and my family happy.  I want my readers to be happy when they finish my novels.  Don't expect too many unhappy endings from me!

7)  You say you are an animal lover (the picture with the baby tiger is too cool!). If you could pet / swim with / interact with any animal (whether real or imaginary), what would it be?

Hahahahaha!  Well, Here's a list of animals I have swam, rode, or petted:  Tiger, bitterong (bear cat), owl, ostrich, dolphin, manatee, sting ray, elephant.  I still have not swam with sharks so I might want to try that.  I want to see and /or pet a whale and any other big cat, bear and a platypus.  Mythical?  I'd love to see a gryphon and a phoenix.

8)  I would image that keeping a pet while travelling a lot is difficult. Do you have any pets at the moment? If so what and who are they? If not, how does that make you feel?

I currently have one dog who stays with my sister while I travel.  My older dog, Zane recently died of bladder cancer :(.  It was heartbreaking.  If I could, I would take my babies with me while I travel but I know they are in good hands with my sister.

9)  If you could be a kettle, what color would you be? Also, please send me a picture of your book cover.

If I were a kettle, I would be copper!  No reason.  Just like copper kettles!

Hope you enjoyed it
Ciao
If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

2 comments:

  1. Daniel, I didn't give you my web address. Hope you don't mind me putting it in the comments.

    http://lisscthomas.blogspot.com/

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liss

    No problem.
    I don't mind at all :)

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete