I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

17 Oct 2012

Designer table of contents for Kindle

I don't know if this is news to anyone, but I struggled for a while to figure out how to design my own table of contents (contents page) for Kindle using Mobipocket Creator.
So I thought I'd share.

First off, I'm not going to teach the actual HTML code today.
I'm not being lazy.
I just have a talk for which I need to prepare for tomorrow on The Dangers of Substance Abuse.
It's the first time I'm giving this talk, so a little extra prep is needed.

Maybe I'll show the HTML tomorrow.

What I'm going to show now are the steps needed once you have designed your HTML contents page.
Also you need to know how to build your Kindle content using Mobipocket Creator.

Step 1)  build the.prc file as you would normally (including building the table of contents via the menu on the left of the application)
Step 2)  go to the location on your computer where you have told Mobipocket Creator to save your published files
Step 3)  locate the file mbp_toc.html
Step 4)  do not override this file. That's the mistake I made in the long, long ago. It took many "hours" of fiddling around to figure this out.
Step 5)  open that file in an editor
Step 6)  replace the body part of the HTML code. I didn't put any style code in the head tag. I did all the styling inline, in the tags. I didn't try creating styles. So if someone has some time on their hands and wants to give it a go, please share in the comments.
Step 7)  save the file
Step 8) rebuild in Mobipocket Creator as normal

And that's it.
It's simple really; when you know how.
Please do note though: Kindle doesn't format exactly how a browser would format your code, so it may look a little bit different. Make sure you check for that.

Till tomorrow
Ciao



If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment