I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

25 Oct 2012

Alcohol, parenting and World Day of Remembrance

Today's post is about alcohol and parenting, and World Day of Remembrance for those who have been killed by drunk drivers.

I haven't been blogging much over the past week or so. There's a reason for that. You'll find out in a few days. Even this post is not very well written or inspiring. However, it's for a good cause, so please read it as it can still create a little awareness.

I went to a tweetup the other night for World Day of Remembrance and thought I should at least blog something now to create a little awareness for it. World Day of Remembrance is to remember all those who have died in car accidents caused by drunk drivers. To create awareness people are going to be tweeting with the hashtag #rememberme. If you have been affected by drunk driving please use the hashtag #rememberme.

In addition, more importantly, we need to start getting to the root of the problem. I bet you all though I was going to say something cliched like, "Don't drink and drive." Saying things like that, is like telling a blind person to see! We've been preaching that message for years, and yet we have more alcoholics (and people think I'm crazy...). It's not going to happen without a lot of help and support from society.

The reason I put parenting in the title (apart from my blog being mostly about parenting, even if in a rather circuitous way) is because alcohol has become a part of parenting, whether we like it or not. 80% of high school learners  in Gauteng (South Africa) regularly consume alcohol. In my research for my book, alcohol came up as the number one cause for dysfunctional homes. Just look at Homer. Need I say more...

For more about what I think on this topic, I'm releasing my talk that I do entitled The Dangers of Substance Abuse. For people in Durban (South Africa) if you would like me to present my talk leave a comment or send me a mail via my contact me page.


If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

0 comments:

Post a Comment