I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life how to better understand their children.

10 Sep 2012

Why do we write?

When in school, I could never answer the question, "Why do we write?" And the sad thing is no teacher ever took the time out to explain it to me, or anyone for that matter. To me though writing is about getting something out: an emotion, a feeling, a thought, a sentiment. Most of all though writing helps a person to heal.

It was only after tragedy that inspiration struck me and I felt compelled to actually pick up a pen and write. I had been an avid reader for year, so it’s something that I had wanted to do for a long time, but, "What do I write about?"
"I don’t know... You tell me...," said the voice inside my head.
As I said, it’s only after tragedy struck, that I knew about what I wanted to write, and fortunately, so often after tragedy follows passion, drive, motivation and need. We can say the same about any of the creative arts though: painting, dancing, drawing, whatever. I feel it’s so sad that in our very logical, western world, we neglect those disciplines. Yes, we have artists and authors, but for the most part, it’s to make millions of dollars or on the other hand, you’re the ‘starving artist’ suffering for his work. What happened to doing things just for fun...? Alternatively, just to express...

For all our sophisticated gadgets, we seem to be forgetting the simple things that just make us happy.

Kindle
Smashwords
Facebook: daniel.dinnie.book
Twitter: daniel_dinnie
(this was written for another site, who never mailed me back) 
If you enjoyed this article please hit the share buttons, or check out some of the related articles in the column on the right. And visit us again.

I show concerned parents who want to give their children the best start to life
how to better understand their children.
And I show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone

14 comments:

  1. With the evolution of time seems to be the stealing of time...so much fills our day that there seems to be too little time to devote to the enjoyment of or practising of the various arts. It's almost as if technology is sabotaging all that. Or could we just rearrange "time" so that we have less time devoted to work and a little more time in refreshing the mind with writing, dancing, music etc.
    But at least offering my five-cents' worth on your blogposts is "un-rusting" my brain cells from the writing perspective...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point, "the stealing of time."
    And I fully agree.
    I've written the exact same thing in my next book.
    With what are we all so busy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daniel, just over from Book Blogs.
    Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
    I'm a bookseller at www.marchhousebooks.co.uk and part time blogger at http://marchhousebookscom.blogspot.co.uk/
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Barbara.
    I'll have a look at your website.
    I am intrigued... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel,
    I've always thought of the mind as a computer screen. When the screen is full it must be refreshed. That's what writing does for me. Refreshes the screen.
    Bert

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice answer Bret!
    That's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of how it was the norm to send letters to one another. Now it's by email or text most of the time. Writing is truly a creative form to preserve!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think most art forms should be preserved.
    They all have a part to play.
    I was at a World literacy day event at the Indian Consulate this past weekend, discussing such matters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think tragedy can definitely make a person more passionate about writing. I write because I can't stop, despite tragedy. I love how cathartic it is for me. This is especially so when I write little snippets on social sites for some unknown reason.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I hear you Brit (nice name).
    Have a groovy day :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not to contradict my earlier post - now I'm thinking that having more access to sites where one can voice an opinion...does that not mean more people are actually writing - who would never have bothered before? So now we just have to get the balance right...not be overwhelmed by too much stuff so that we can share our thoughts in writing. Then again it also maybe hinders our opportunities to actually interact face-to-face. From a global perspective, it definitely turns the internet"world" into a village. Where we can hang out (figuratively speaking) over the technological "gate or fence" to shoot the breeze with our new-found friends on facebook, twitter, blogposts like yours...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a good point.
    Maybe one has to ask then, what your reason for writing is.
    Is it to find fame and glory on the internet or because you are bored?
    The people who answered "no" to those would probably have been writing anyway.
    So then who's right and who's wrong...?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Or maybe it's just to air one's opinions to/with anyone who's interested, to interact with others...it's always a treat to meet someone who's intelligent and interesting enough to have a worthwhile opinion. And for those who have a gift at putting their thoughts down in an entertaining way - they will get their fame and glory.

    ReplyDelete